g1-17.md 1.3 KB

Word usage: 想

The word 想 in Chinese carries various meanings:

  1. 想 + noun/noun-phrase = to miss somebody/something:

    丁雲很想家。
        Ding Yun misses her family very much.
    我很想我的爸爸媽媽。
        I miss my parents very much.
    你不想你的男朋友嗎﹖
        Don't you miss your boyfriend?
    你想不想她﹖
        Do you miss her?
    
  2. 想 + verb/verb-phrase = to want to do something:

    A: 你想去商店嗎﹖
        Do you want to go to the shop?
    B: 我不想去。
        I don't want to go.
    
    A: 你想不想學法語﹖
        Do you want to study French?
    B: 我也想學法語。
        I also want to study French.
    
  3. 想 + clause = to think/suppose something:

    我想她是中國人。
        I think she is Chinese.
    我想她爸爸媽媽都是大夫。
        I think her parents are both doctors.
    

    N.B. to negate a sentence with 想 in this capacity, put the negative adverb in the /subordinate clause/, not in the main clause as in English:

    我想她/不是/中國人。
        I don't think she is Chinese.
    but not 我不想她是中國人。
    

N.B. 想 as a verb can use the affirmative-negative question form /only/ in senses 1 and 2 above, not in 3.