He's worried about the results of the test.
他 为 考 试 结 果 着 急 。
Ta1 wei4 kao3shi4 jie2guo3 zhao2ji2.
This advisor told her to take calculus, but that advisor told her to take computer programming. She doesn't know what to do.
这 个 导 师 让 她 学 微 积 分 , 那 个 导 师 让 她 学 计 算 机 编 程 。 她 不 知 道 该 怎 么 办 。
Zhe4 ge4 dao3shi1 rang4 ta1 xue2 Wei1ji1fen1, na4 ge4 dao3shi1 rang4 ta1 xue2 Ji4suan4ji1 bian1cheng2. Ta1 bu4 zhi1dao4 gai1 zen3me ban4.
Why'd the advisor tell you to bring your essay?
为 什 么 顾 问 让 你 带 着 你 的 文 章 ?
Wei4shen2me gu4wen4 rang4 ni3 dai4zhe ni3 de wen2zhang1?
All the students are in the classroom now.
现 在 , 所 有 的 学 生 都 在 教 室 里 。
Xian4zai4, suo3you3 de xue2sheng dou1 zai4 jiao4shi4 li3.
Almost all of the students came back.
差 不 多 所 有 学 生 都 回 来 了 。
Cha4buduo1 suo3you3 xue2sheng dou1 hui2lai2 le.
The answer to this problem is zero.
这 道 题 的 答 案 是 零 。
Zhe4 dao4 ti2 de da2'an4 shi4 ling2.
Mark the number which you think it is the correct answer.
在 你 认 为 是 正 确 答 案 的 数 字 前 面 标 记 号 。
Zai4 ni3 ren4wei2 shi4 zheng4que4 da2'an4 de shu4zi4 qian2mian4 biao1 ji4hao4.
Around fifty people showed up for the lecture. That's not bad.
大 约 五 十 人 来 参 加 讲 座 。 不 错 了 。
Da4yue1 wu3shi2 ren2 lai2 can1jia1 jiang3zuo4. Bu2 cuo4 le.
At the end of the semester, everyone is going crazy with all the work that is due.
学 期 末 , 每 个 人 都 为 未 完 成 的 功 课 而 疯 狂 。
Xue2qi1mo4, mei3 ge4 ren2 dou1 wei4 wei4 wan2cheng2 de gong1ke4 er2 feng1kuang2.
Uncle Cao went to the university auditorium to hear a lecture on computers.
曹 叔 叔 去 学 校 礼 堂 听 一 个 计 算 机 报 告 。
Cao2 Shu1shu qu4 xue2xiao4 li3tang2 ting1 yi2 ge4 ji4suan4ji1 bao4gao4.
Because of the flood, he didn't go to school.
因 为 发 洪 水 , 他 没 上 学 。
Yin1wei2 fa1 hong2shui3, ta1 mei2 shang4xue2.
I want to review the report before I hand it in.
在 交 报 告 之 前 我 想 再 看 一 遍 。
Zai4 jiao1 bao4gao4 zhi1qian2 wo3 xiang3 zai4 kan4 yi2 bian4.
Hand in your notebooks please!
请 把 本 子 交 上 来 !
Qing3 ba3 ben3zi jiao1shang4 lai2.
The library has many books.
图 书 馆 有 很 多 图 书 。
Tu2shu1guan3 you3 hen3 duo1 tu2shu1.
Psychology and Biology are two branches of science that interest me.
我 感 兴 趣 的 两 门 科 学 是 心 理 学 和 生 物 学 。
Wo3 gan3xing4qu4 de liang3 men2 ke1xue2 shi4 xin1li3xue2 he2 sheng1wu4xue2.
I'm trying to catch up with my studies, I think I'll stay in this weekend. (In Chinese, the assumption that you will work if you stay "in" is not made idiomatically -- so you must say that you will study all weekend.)
我 在 努 力 地 把 学 习 赶 上 来 , 我 想 我 整 个 周 末 都 会 学 习 。
Wo3 zai4 nu3li4 de ba3 xue2xi2 gan3shang4lai2, wo3 xiang3 wo3 zheng3ge4 zhou1mo4 dou1 hui4 xue2xi2.
The teacher wrote on the blackboard with chalk.
老 师 用 粉 笔 在 黑 板 上 写 字 。
Lao3shi1 yong4 fen3bi3 zai4 hei1ban3shang xie3 zi4.
I'm sorry, you have no more opportunities to take a make-up exam because you missed the last chance yesterday.
对 不 起 , 你 没 有 机 会 补 考 了 , 因 为 你 已 经 错 过 了 昨 天 的 最 后 一 次 机 会 。
Dui4buqi3, ni3 mei2you3 ji1hui4 bu3kao3 le, yin1wei2 ni3 yi3jing1 cuo4guo4 le zuo2tian1 de zui4hou4 yi2 ci4 ji1hui4.
I like writing Chinese characters. (writing characters in general - with an ordinary pen)
我 喜 欢 写 汉 字 。
Wo3 xi3huan xie3 Han4zi4.
Please check this page again.
请 再 查 查 这 一 页 。
Qing3 zai4 cha2cha2 zhe4 yi2 ye4.
She'll go abroad to study chemistry.
她 到 国 外 去 学 习 化 学 。
Ta1 dao4 guo2wai4 qu4 xue2xi2 hua4xue2.
That's a very weak reason for missing class.
这 个 逃 课 的 理 由 太 勉 强 了 。
Zhe4 ge4 tao2ke4 de li3you2 tai4 mian3qiang3 le.
I don't have class on Friday. (you3 in mei2you3 is understood)
我 星 期 五 没 课 。
Wo3 xing1qi1wu3 mei2 ke4.
Tomorrow, we're going to school.
明 天 我 们 上 学 。
Ming2tian1 wo3men shang4xue2.
Would you please help me make up the class I missed?
你 能 帮 我 补 课 吗 ?
Ni3 neng2 bang1 wo3 bu3ke4 ma?
Often universities include many colleges.
大 学 常 常 包 含 一 些 学 院 。
Da4xue2 chang2 chang2 bao1han2 yi4 xie1 xue2yuan4.
The child came into the classroom.
孩 子 进 了 教 室 。
Hai2zi jin4 le jiao4shi4.
As far as I'm concerned it's too easy.
这 对 我 来 说 太 简 单 了 。
Zhe4 dui4 wo3 lai2 shuo1 tai4 jian3dan1 le.
I corrected it again one more time. (Correct has broad meanings -- you can correct your children, correct exams, correct the focus of a camera, correct misbehavior -- it may mean you only point it out, or it may mean you change it to meet a standard)
我 又 重 新 改 了 一 遍 。
Wo3 you4 chong2xin1 gai3le yi2 bian4.
She crammed for her history exam. (this means to hold desperately to the feet of Buddha as a last appeal -- because it's too late, nothing is going to help -- but you stay up all night to study so Buddha will think kindly of your last minute efforts. It doesn't help you to learn Chinese!)
她 临 时 抱 佛 脚 以 应 付 历 史 考 试 。
Ta1 lin2shi2 bao4 Fo2 jiao3 yi3 ying1fu4 li4shi3 kao3shi4.
She deposited money for school.
她 为 上 学 存 钱 。
Ta1 wei4 shang4xue2 cun2qian2.
When I give you dictation, you copy exactly what I say. (in this sentence you are speaking to one student about what happens in class -- so the first pronoun is plural, the second singular -- see another sentence for a common variation)
当 我 给 你 们 听 写 时 , 你 确 切 地 写 我 说 的 。
Dang1 wo3 gei3 ni3men ting1xie3 shi2, ni3 que4qie4 de xie3 wo3 shuo1 de.
The teacher dictated in Chinese.
老 师 用 中 文 听 写 。
Lao3shi1 yong4 Zhong1wen2 ting1xie3.
The dormitory building's brand new.
这 栋 宿 舍 楼 很 新 。
Zhe4 dong4 su4she4lou2 hen3 xin1.
I'll go back to my dormitory.
我 要 回 宿 舍 了 。
Wo3 yao4 hui2 su4she4 le.
I dropped my math book in a puddle and now all the pages are stuck together.
我 把 数 学 书 掉 进 水 坑 , 纸 都 粘 在 一 块 儿 了 。
Wo3 ba3 shu4xue2 shu1 diao4 jin4 shui3keng1, zhi3 dou1 zhan1 zai4 yi2 kuai4r le.
We teach each other.
我 们 互 相 学 习 。
Wo3men hu4xiang1 xue2xi2.
It's not very easy to learn Chinese.
汉 语 不 容 易 学 。
Han4yu3 bu4 rong2yi4 xue2.
On a multiple-choice test, if you eliminate some of the wrong answers, it is easier to find the correct answer.
做 多 选 题 时 , 如 果 你 能 排 除 一 些 错 误 答 案 , 那 么 找 到 正 确 答 案 就 容 易 多 了 。
Zuo4 duo1xuan3ti2 shi2, ru2guo3 ni3 neng2 pai2chu2 yi4xie1 cuo4wu4 da2'an4, na4me zhao3dao4 zheng4que4 da2an4 jiu4 rong2yi4 duo1le.
There's some error here.
这 有 点 错 误 。
Zhe4 you3 dian3 cuo4wu4.
He has many courses, such as English, Chinese, math, literature and so on.
他 有 许 多 课 , 英 语 、 中 文 、 数 学 、 文 学 , 等 等 。
Ta1 you3 xu3duo1 ke4, Ying1yu3, Zhong1wen2, shu4xue2, wen2xue3, deng3deng3.
他 有 许 多 课 , 英 语 、 中 文 、 数 学 、 文 学 , 什 么 的 。
Ta1 you3 xu3duo1 ke4, Ying1yu3, Zhong1wen2, shu4xue2, wen2xue2, shen2me de.
Everybody knows that a new teacher'll come to the school.
大 家 都 知 道 一 位 新 老 师 要 来 学 校 。
Da4jia1 dou1 zhi1dao4 yi2 wei4 xin1 lao3shi1 yao4 lai2 xue2xiao4.
The library assistant explains the rules for borrowing books carefully to the students.
图 书 管 理 员 向 学 生 们 仔 细 的 说 明 借 书 规 则 。
Tu2shu1guan3li3yuan2 xiang4 xue2sheng1men zi3xi4 de shuo1ming2 jie4 shu1 gui1ze2.
I flunked my exam. I'm sad.
我 考 试 没 过 , 非 常 难 过 。
Wo3 kao3shi4 mei2 guo4, fei1chang2 nan2guo4.
I failed that exam because I forgot we were having it.
我 没 通 过 那 个 考 试 , 因 为 我 忘 记 我 们 要 考 试 了 。
Wo3 mei2 tong1guo4 na4ge kao3shi4, yin1wei2 wo3 wang4ji4 wo3men yao4 kao3shi4 le.
Her tests are very fair. But hard!
她 的 考 试 很 公 正 。 但 太 难 了 !
Ta1 de kao3shi4 hen3 gong1zheng4, dan4 tai4 nan2 le!
I hate fill in the blank questions, there are too many possibilities!
我 讨 厌 做 填 空 题 , 因 为 有 太 多 种 选 择 了 。
Wo3 tao3yan4 zuo4 tian2kong4 ti1, yin1wei2 you3 tai4duo1 zhong3 xuan3ze2 le.
In this section of the test, fill in the blanks with the appropriate verb.
在 试 卷 的 这 部 分 , 填 入 正 确 的 动 词 。
Zai4 shi4juan4 de zhe4 bu4fen, tian2 ru4 zheng4que4 de dong4ci2.
Read the first chapter in your book tonight. (when yi1 follows di4 第 , yi1 takes the first tone)
今 天 晚 上 , 看 书 的 第 一 章 。
Jin1tian1 wan3shang, kan4 shu1 de di4 yi1 zhang1.
I forgot to do my assignment.
我 忘 了 写 作 业 。
Wo3 wang4 le xie3 zuo4ye4.
The road in front of the university is very bad.
大 学 前 边 的 路 不 很 好 走 。
Da4xue2 qian2bian de lu4 bu4 hen3 hao3 zou3.
He should take the books into the classroom.
他 应 该 把 书 拿 到 教 室 去 。
Ta1 ying1gai1 ba3 shu1 na2 dao4 jiao4shi4 qu4.
How well do you get along with your roommate?
你 和 你 的 同 屋 相 处 的 怎 么 样 ?
Ni3 he2 ni3 de tong2wu1 xiang1chu3 de zen3meyang4?
When will you graduate?
你 什 么 时 候 毕 业 ?
Ni3 shen2me shi2hou bi4ye4?
I handed out the papers to the class.
我 在 班 里 发 了 卷 子 。
Wo3 zai4 ban1 li3 fa1 le juan4zi.
I'm a senior in high school. (gao1san1 = third year of high school -- a senior)
我 是 高 三 学 生 。
Wo3 shi4 gao1san1 xue2sheng.
A concert's held in their school each month.
他 们 学 校 每 个 月 都 举 办 音 乐 会 。
Ta1men xue2xiao4 mei3ge4 yue4 dou1 ju3ban4 yin1yue4hui4.
My dog ate my homework.
我 的 狗 吃 了 我 的 作 业 。
Wo3 de gou3 chi1 le wo3 de zuo4ye4.
What's the level of your Chinese? (literally -- How about the level of your Chinese? -- a less direct method of asking.)
你 的 汉 语 水 平 如 何 ?
Ni3 de han4yu3 shui3ping2 ru2he2?
This university has two laboratories.
这 所 大 学 有 两 个 实 验 室 。
Zhe4 suo3 da4xue2 you3 liang3 ge4 shi2yan4shi4.
Chinese books are hard to read.
中 文 书 难 读 。
Zhong1wen2 shu1 nan2 du2.
Chinese is a foreign language.
汉 语 是 一 门 外 语 。
Han4yu3 shi4 yi4 men2 wai4yu3.
I made a leaf collection for school.
我 为 学 校 收 集 叶 子 标 本 。
Wo3 wei4 xue2xiao4 shou1ji2 ye4zi biao1ben3.
There are 15 Chinese lessons in this book.
这 本 书 有 15 课 中 文 课 文 。
Zhe4 ben3 shu1 you3 15 ke4 Zhong1wen2 ke4wen2.
Our library has many Japanese books.
我 们 的 图 书 馆 有 很 多 日 语 书 。
Wo3men de tu2shu1guan3 you3 hen3 duo1 Ri4yu3 shu1.
If you don't understand these new words, please look them up in the dictionary.
如 果 你 不 认 识 这 些 生 词 , 请 查 字 典 。
Ru2guo3 ni3 bu2 ren4shi2 zhe4xie1 sheng1ci2, qing3 cha2 zi4dian3.
Your music's too loud! (Sheng1 is sometimes pronounced she1r in oral expression - particularly among Beijingers.)
你 的 音 乐 声 太 大 了 !
Ni3 de yin1yue4 sheng1 tai4 da4 le.
I often have lunch at school.
我 常 常 在 学 校 吃 午 饭 。
Wo3 chang2chang2 zai4 xue2xiao4 chi1 wu3fan4.
These boys are making up a game to play before school.
这 些 男 孩 子 正 在 设 计 一 个 游 戏 可 以 在 上 学 之 前 玩 。
Zhe4 xie1 nan2hai2zi zheng4zai4 she4ji4 yi2 ge4 you2xi4 ke3yi3 zai4 shang4xue2 zhi1qian2 wan2r.
The English Club held a meeting to watch a movie.
英 语 俱 乐 部 开 会 是 看 电 影 。
Ying1yu3 Ju4le4bu4 kai1 hui4 shi4 kan4 dian4ying3.
The students held a meeting to plan their trip.
学 生 们 开 会 讨 论 旅 行 计 划 。
Xue2shengmen kai1hui4 tao3lun4 lu~3xing2 ji4hua4.
You must speak in English.
你 得 用 英 语 说 。
Ni3 dei3 yong4 Ying1yu3 shuo1.
Her school's in the north of Beijing.
她 的 学 校 在 北 京 的 北 边 。
Ta1 de xue2xiao4 zai4 Bei3jing1 de bei3bian1.
You shouldn't write notes to your classmates during the exam.
考 试 中 你 不 应 该 给 你 的 同 学 写 条 子 。
Kao3shi4 zhong1 ni3 bu4 ying1gai1 gei3 ni3 de tong2xue2 xie3 tiao2zi.
She takes very good notes, so she does well on the tests.
她 笔 记 记 得 很 好 , 所 以 她 的 考 试 考 得 不 错 。
Ta1 bi3ji4 ji4 de2 hen3 hao3, suo3yi3 ta1 de kao3shi4 kao3 de2 bu2 cuo4.
Is that dictionary on the desk yours? (The character 么 me can be used to ask an informal question -- especially when you know the answer -- but it's usage is contextual and requires lots of experience -- stick to 吗 ma )
书 桌 上 的 那 本 词 典 是 你 的 么 ?
Shu1zhuo1shang de na4 ben3 ci2dian3 shi4 ni3de ma?
Open your books to page 100.
打 开 书 , 翻 到 100 页 。
Da3kai1 shu1, fan1dao4 100 ye4.
first volume from the first lesson up to the fiftieth lesson
上 册 从 第 1 课 到 第 50 课
shang4 ce4 cong2 di4 1 ke4 dao4 di4 50 ke4
I'll hand in my history paper tomorrow.
我 明 天 要 交 我 的 历 史 论 文 。
Wo3 ming2tian1 yao4 jiao1 wo3 de li4shi3 lun4wen2.
Practice makes perfect.
熟 能 生 巧
Shu2 neng2 sheng1 qiao3
He's doing a practicum in a factory. (literally - he goes to do a factory practice.)
他 去 工 厂 实 习 。
Ta1 qu4 gong1chang3 shi2xi2.
Do you have any questions?
你 有 问 题 吗 ?
Ni3 you3 wen4ti2 ma?
The reading room's on the fifth floor.
阅 览 室 在 五 层 。
Yue4lan3shi4 zai4 wu3 ceng2.
I realized my dream to attend the university.
我 实 现 了 上 大 学 的 梦 想 。
Wo3 shi2xian4 le shang4 da4xue2 de meng4xiang3.
That is a very weak reason for missing class.
这 个 逃 课 的 理 由 真 是 毫 无 说 服 力 。
Zhe4 ge4 tao2ke4 de li3you2 zhen1 shi4 hao2wu2 shuo1fu2li4.
Professor Chen was very satisfied with the results of the test.
陈 老 师 对 这 次 考 试 的 结 果 很 满 意 。
Chen2 Lao3shi2 dui4 zhe4ci4 kao3shi4 de jie2guo3 hen3 man3yi4.
Return the book to the library.
去 图 书 馆 还 书 。
Qu4 tu2shu1guan3 huan2 shu1.
Each school has a broadcasting room.
每 个 学 校 都 有 一 个 广 播 室 。
Mei3 ge4 xue2xiao4 dou1 you3 yi2 ge4 guang3bo1shi4.
Our school's very big.
我 们 的 学 校 十 分 大 。
Wo3men de xue2xiao4 shi2fen1 da4.
The school's across the street.
学 校 在 马 路 对 面 。
Xue2xiao4 zai4 ma3lu4 dui4mian4.
The second semester always seems longer than the first.
第 二 学 期 似 乎 总 比 第 一 学 期 长 。
Di4er4 xue2qi1 si4hu1 zong3 bi3 di4yi1 xue2qi1 chang2.
What's the meaning of this sentence?
这 句 话 什 么 意 思 ?
Zhe4 ju4hua4 shen2me yi4si?
The dormitory has five stories.
那 栋 宿 舍 楼 有 五 层 。
Na4 dong4 su4she4lou2 you3 wu3 ceng2.
My younger brother's an elementary school student.
我 弟 弟 是 小 学 生 。
Wo3 di4di shi4 xiao3xue2sheng1.
She's a student.
她 是 一 个 学 生 。
Ta1 shi4 yi2 ge4 xue2sheng.
Foreign students living in Beijing often learn Chinese.
留 学 生 们 住 在 北 京 常 常 学 习 汉 语 。
Liu2xue2sheng1men zhu4 zai4 Bei3jing1 chang2chang2 xue2xi2 Han4yu3.
He spent the afternoon studying.
他 学 习 了 一 下 午 。
Ta1 xue2xi2 le yi2 xia4wu3.
This text's not suitable for the boy, it's too difficult. (Beijing accent adds 'r' to nan2hai2, but it is not written)
这 个 课 本 对 这 个 男 孩 不 合 适 , 它 太 难 了 。
Zhe4 ge4 ke4ben3 dui4 zhe4 ge4 nan2hai2r bu4 he2 shi4, ta1 tai4 nan2 le.
He teaches 3 classes. (oral usage)
他 教 三 个 班 。
Ta1 jiao1 san1 ge4 ban1.
During exams, most students look tired.
考 试 中 很 多 学 生 显 得 很 疲 惫 。
Kao3shi2 zhong1 hen3duo1 xue2sheng xian3 de hen3 pi2bei4.
Many tests have multiple-choice questions because they're easy to grade. (literally -- Many tests choose to use the type of question multiple choice, because easy to grade. Notice "tests" can choose to use things - it's understood that a teacher made up the test. 形 式 xing2shi4 is necessary to distinguish m-c as one type)
很 多 考 试 采 用 多 项 选 择 的 形 式 , 因 为 很 容 易 阅 卷 。
Hen3 duo1 kao3shi4 cai3yong4 duo1xiang4xuan3ze2 de xing2shi4, yin1wei2 hen3 rong2yi4 yue4juan4.
We learned to type in junior high school.
我 们 在 中 学 学 打 字 。
Wo3men zai4 zhong1xue2 xue2 da3zi4.
I don't understand this sentence
我 不 懂 这 句 话 的 意 思 。
Wo3 bu4 dong3 zhe4 ju4 hua4 de yi4si.
I'm not going home this weekend, because I need to study.
我 周 末 不 回 家 去 , 因 为 我 需 要 学 习 。
Wo3 zhou1mo4 bu4 hui2jia1 qu4, yin1wei2 wo3 xu1yao4 xue2xi2.
I like writing Chinese characters with a brush. (writing brush characters)
我 喜 欢 写 毛 笔 字 。
Wo3 xi3huan xie3 mao2bi3zi4.
The teacher was very satisfied with this score.
老 师 对 这 个 成 绩 很 满 意 。
Lao3shi1 dui4 zhe4 ge4 cheng2ji4 hen3 man3yi4.
This is wrong.
这 是 错 的 。
Zhe4 shi4 cuo4 de.
The little boy got a zero on the test. (the 'r' sound is added to nan2hai2 and sometimes to fen1 in Beijing -- but is omitted in writing the characters -- elsewhere in China, the 'r' is seldom said.)
这 个 小 男 孩 在 考 试 中 得 了 零 分 。
Zhe4 ge4 xiao3 nan2hai2r zai4 kao3shi4 zhong1 de2 le ling2 fen1r.
http://hua.umf.maine.edu/Chinese/topics/topics.html Last Update: July 2012 © Marilyn Shea 1999, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2012