In the past, Chinese used an abacus to calculate.
过 去 , 中 国 人 用 算 盘 计 算 。
Guo4qu4, Zhong1guo2ren2 yong4 suan4pan ji4suan4.
In the example given above, the author makes two important points.
在 上 述 例 子 中 , 作 者 指 出 很 重 要 的 两 点 。
Zai4 shang4 shu4 li4zi zhong1, zuo4zhe3 zhi3chu1 hen3 zhong4yao4 de liang3 dian3.
If you want to sell your bike, put an advertisement in the newspaper.
假 如 你 想 卖 掉 你 的 自 行 车 , 可 以 在 报 上 登 一 个 广 告 。
Jia3ru2 ni3 xiang3 mai4diao4 ni3 de zi4xing2che1, ke3yi3 zai4 bao4 shang4 deng1 yi2 ge4 guang3gao4.
Although his foot was injured, he took part in the match.
他 的 脚 虽 然 受 伤 了 , 但 是 他 还 是 参 加 比 赛 了 。
Ta1 de jiao3 sui1ran2 shou4shang1le, dan4shi4 ta1 hai2shi can1jia1le bi3sai4.
The radio announcer said that there would be a concert in the square tonight.
广 播 员 说 今 晚 在 广 场 上 将 有 一 场 音 乐 会 。
Guang3bo1yuan2 shuo1 jin1wan3 zai4 guang3chang3 shang4 jiang1you3 yi4 chang3 yin1yue4hui4.
The fields of wheat around Xi'an are beautiful in the early summer.
初 夏 , 西 安 周 围 的 麦 田 很 漂 亮 。
Chu1xia4, Xi1'an1 zhou1wei2 de mai4tian2 hen3 piao4liang.
I need some packing to go around these vases so they won't break in my suitcase. (zhe4 yang4 can also be translated as "this way")
我 需 要 一 些 填 料 放 在 这 些 花 瓶 周 围 , 这 样 它 们 在 我 的 箱 子 里 就 不 会 碎 了 。
Wo3 xu1yao4 yi4 xie1 tian2liao4 fang4zai4 zhe4 xie1 hua1ping2 zhou1wei2, zhe4 yang4 ta1men zai4 wo3 de xiang1zi li3 jiu4 bu2 hui4 sui4 le.
to be at (a place), in, at
在
zai4
If you'll wait at the bus stop, I'll join you in a minute. (literally -- if you wait at the bus stop for a minute, I will at once then be able to go with you)
如 果 你 们 在 公 共 汽 车 站 等 我 一 下 , 我 马 上 就 能 和 你 们 一 起 去 。
Ru2guo3 ni3men zai4 gong1gong4qi4che1zhan4 deng3 wo3 yi2xia4, wo3 ma3shang4 jiu4 neng2 he2 ni3men2 yi4qi3 qu4.
I like to study at the table, but sometimes I like to curl up in the chair to read. (literally -- I like to sit at the table side to study, but I sometimes also like to curl at a chair up to read a book -- note furniture difference Americans are more likely to have a couch to curl in, Chinese are more likely to have a soft chair)
我 喜 欢 坐 在 桌 子 边 学 习 , 但 我 有 时 也 喜 欢 蜷 在 椅 子 上 看 书 。
Wo3 xi3huan zuo4 zai4 zhuo1zi bian1 xue2xi2, dan4 wo3 you3shi2 ye3 xi3huan quan2 zai4 yi3zishang kan4shu1.
In China you can call an older woman aunt.
在 中 国 你 可 以 叫 一 个 老 妇 人 大 娘 。
Zai4 Zhong1guo2 ni3 ke3yi3 jiao4 yi2 ge4 lao3 fu4ren2 da4niang2.
I'm in the back.
我 在 后 边 儿 。
Wo3 zai4 hou4bianr.
I'll be back in a moment.
我 一 会 儿 回 来 。
Wo3 yi2hui4r hui2lai2.
I want to open an account in the bank.
我 想 在 银 行 开 个 账 户 ( 帐 户 ) 。
Wo3 xiang3 zai4 yin2hang2 kai1 ge4 zhang4hu4.
He died a soldier's death in that battle. (died a martyr, died for his country, ideal)
他 在 那 场 战 斗 中 光 荣 牺 牲 了 。
Ta1 zai4 na4 chang2 zhan4dou4 zhong1 guang1rong2 xi1sheng1 le.
He would quit his job before taking a cut in pay.
他 宁 可 辞 职 也 不 愿 被 减 薪 。
Ta1 ning4ke3 ci2zhi2 ye3 bu2yuan4 bei4 jian3xin1.
You must put quality before quantity if you want to stay in business for long.
如 果 你 想 长 期 做 生 意 , 必 须 先 考 虑 质 量 , 然 后 才 是 数 量 。
Ru2guo3 ni3 xiang3 chang2qi1 zuo4 sheng1yi4, bi4xu1 xian1 kao3lu~4 zhi4liang4, ran2hou4 cai2shi4 shu4liang4.
She was before me in line, wait on her first.
她 在 我 前 头 , 她 先 来 。
Ta1 zai4 wo3 qian2 tou2, ta1 xian1 lai2.
The play'll begin in five minutes.
戏 剧 五 分 钟 后 开 演 。
Xi4ju4 wu3 fen1zhong1 hou4 kai1yan3.
Zhang Cheng's a bit behind in his work.
在 工 作 进 度 上 , 张 成 有 些 落 后 。
Zai4 gong1zuo4jin4du4 shang, Zhang1 Cheng2 you3 xie1 luo4hou4.
After he had the flu, he was so behind other students in his studies that he got sick again. (yuan3yuan3 de is an adverb, yuan3 is an adjective)
自 从 那 次 流 感 后 , 他 的 学 业 远 远 地 落 在 其 他 同 学 后 面 , 致 使 他 又 一 次 病 倒 。
Zi4cong2 na4 ci4 liu2gan3 hou4, ta1 de xue2ye4 yuan3yuan3de la4 zai4 qi2ta1 tong2xue2 hou4mian4, zhi4shi3 ta1 you4 yi2 ci4 bing4dao3.
I don't believe in ghosts.
我 不 相 信 有 鬼 。
Wo3 bu4 xiang1xin4 you3 gui3.
Hand in your notebooks please!
请 把 本 子 交 上 来 !
Qing3 ba3 ben3zi jiao1shang4 lai2.
I was born in Chicago.
我 生 在 芝 加 哥 。
Wo3 sheng1 zai4 Zhi1jia1ge1.
If it rains, bring in the clothes.
如 果 下 雨 , 把 衣 服 收 进 来 。
Ru2guo3 xia4yu3, ba3 yi1fu shou1 jin4lai.
The candles are burning in the candlesticks .
蜡 烛 台 上 的 蜡 烛 在 燃 烧 。
La4zhu2tai2 shang4 de la4zhu2 zai4 ran2shao1.
The cat's sleeping in the sunlight.
猫 在 阳 光 下 睡 觉 。
Mao1 zai4 yang2guang1xia4 shui4jiao4.
The cat's used to sleeping in the window.
猫 习 惯 在 窗 台 上 睡 觉 。
Mao1 xi2guan4 zai4 chuang1tai2shang shui4jiao4.
fruit growing in clusters hanging heavy on the trees
果 实 累 累
guo3shi2 lei3lei3
I got first place in the speech competition yesterday.
昨 天 我 在 演 讲 比 赛 中 得 了 第 一 名 。
Zuo2tian1 wo3 zai4 yan3jiang3 bi3sai4 zhong1 de2 le di4 yi1 ming2.
I gave him 10 dollars in Chinese money. (meaning that you gave him the equivalent of 10 American dollars in yuan2.)
我 给 他 相 当 十 美 元 的 中 国 钱 。
Wo3 gei3 ta1 xiang1dang1 shi2 Mei3yuan2 de Zhong1guo2 qian2.
Cats can still catch mice in the dark.
在 黑 暗 中 , 猫 仍 能 抓 老 鼠 。
Zai4 hei1'an4 zhong1, mao1 reng2 neng2 zhua1 lao3shu3.
The teacher dictated in Chinese.
老 师 用 中 文 听 写 。
Lao3shi1 yong4 Zhong1wen2 ting1xie3.
They're similar in all major areas, but differ on minor points.
他 们 大 同 小 异 。
Ta1men da4tong2 xiao3yi4.
She disappeared in the crowd.
她 消 失 在 人 群 里 。
Ta1 xiao1shi1 zai4 ren2qun2 li3.
I'm relaxing in the living room.
我 在 客 厅 休 息 。
Wo3 zai4 ke4ting1 xiu1xi.
I loathe drilling in formation.
我 讨 厌 练 队 。
Wo3 tao3yan4 lian4dui4.
The shop's in the east.
商 店 在 东 边 儿 。
Shang1dian4 zai4 dong1 bian1r.
They don't speak English in France.
他 们 在 法 国 不 说 英 语 。
Ta1men zai4 Fa3guo2 bu4 shuo1 Ying1yu3.
I installed an extension in the bedroom for convenience.
为 了 方 便 , 我 在 卧 室 里 安 了 一 部 分 机 。
Wei4le fang1bian4, wo3 zai4 wo4shi4 li3 an1 le yi2 bu4 fen1ji1.
Reading in the sun's bad for your eyes.
在 阳 光 下 看 书 , 对 你 的 眼 睛 有 害 。
Zai4 yang2guang1 xia4 kan4shu1, dui4 ni3 de yan3jing1 you3hai4.
There are three people in my family.
我 家 有 三 口 人 。
Wo3 jia1 you3 san1 kou3 ren2.
It's very uncomfortable to have a fever in summer.
夏 天 发 烧 很 难 受 。
Xia4tian1 fa1shao1 hen3 nan2shou4.
In this section of the test, fill in the blanks with the appropriate verb.
在 试 卷 的 这 部 分 , 填 入 正 确 的 动 词 。
Zai4 shi4juan4 de zhe4 bu4fen, tian2 ru4 zheng4que4 de dong4ci2.
Read the first chapter in your book tonight. (when yi1 follows di4 第 , yi1 takes the first tone)
今 天 晚 上 , 看 书 的 第 一 章 。
Jin1tian1 wan3shang, kan4 shu1 de di4 yi1 zhang1.
The flags flutter in the wind.
旗 子 在 风 中 飘 扬 。
Qi2zi zai4 feng1 zhong1 piao1yang2.
The airplane will take off in five minutes.
飞 机 五 分 钟 内 起 飞 。
Fei1ji1 wu3 fen1zhong1 nei4 qi3fei1.
It's not good to drive in fog.
雾 天 不 好 开 车 。
Wu4 tian1 bu4 hao3 kai1che1.
There were two ads in the newspaper for jobs I might want.
报 纸 上 有 两 个 招 聘 广 告 我 会 感 兴 趣 。
Bao4zhi3shang you3 liang3 ge4 zhao1pin4 guang3gao4 wo3 hui4 gan3xing4qu4.
They speak French in France.
他 们 在 法 国 说 法 语 。
Ta1men zai4 Fa3guo2 shuo1 Fa3yu3.
That woman in front's my good friend.
前 边 的 那 个 女 的 是 我 很 好 的 朋 友 。
Qian2bian de na4 ge4 nu~3 de shi4 wo3 hen3 hao3 de peng2you.
Who's the man who's in front of the store?
在 商 店 前 边 的 人 是 谁 ?
Zai4 shang1dian4 qian2bian de ren2 shi4 shei2?
Hospital nurses generally work in three shifts.
医 院 的 护 士 一 般 都 是 三 班 儿 倒 。
Yi1yuan4 de hu4shi4 yi4 ban1 dou1 shi4 san1 ban1r dao3.
Generally speaking, conditions in China have improved every year.
一 般 来 说 , 中 国 的 状 况 每 年 都 有 进 步 。
Yi4ban1 lai2shuo1, Zhong1guo2 de zhuang4kuang4 mei3 nian2 dou1 you3 jin4bu4.
Germany's in Europe.
德 国 在 欧 洲 。
De2guo2 zai4 Ou1zhou1
The goats are in my turnip patch and I can't get them out. ("gan3 bu4 zou3" you can also say this about a guest)
山 羊 在 我 的 萝 卜 地 里 , 而 且 我 赶 不 走 它 们 。
Shan1yang2 zai4 wo3 de luo2bo di4 li3, er2qie3 wo3 gan3 bu4 zou3 ta1men.
He had three plates of dumplings in his hand.
他 手 里 端 着 三 盘 饺 子 。
Ta1 shou3 li3 duan1 zhe san1 pan2 jiao3zi.
Hang your clothes in that closet.
把 你 的 衣 服 挂 在 那 个 衣 柜 里 。
Ba3 ni3 de yi1fu gua4 zai4 na4 ge4 yi1gui4 li3.
You look smart in the red hat. (literally -- You wearing the red hat are smart looking.)
你 戴 红 帽 子 很 漂 亮 。
Ni3 dai4 hong2 mao4zi hen3 piao4liang.
The party will be held in the park.
联 欢 会 在 公 园 开 。
Lian2huan1hui4 zai4 gong1yuan2 kai1.
We rent that house in Shanghai to others. (literal -- That house in Shanghai, we rent to others.)
上 海 的 那 处 房 子 我 们 租 给 了 别 人 。
Shang4hai3 de na4 chu4 fang2zi zu1gei3le bie2ren.
I'll be there in ten minutes.
我 十 分 钟 就 到 。
Wo3 shi2 fen1zhong1 jiu4 dao4.
Jim's in a play.
吉 姆 在 演 戏 。
Ji2mu3 zai4 yan3xi4.
We talked about the increased sales figures in the meeting, but no one could explain them.
我 们 在 会 上 讨 论 增 长 的 销 售 额 , 但 没 人 能 解 释 为 什 么 。
Wo3men zai4 hui4shang tao3lun4 zeng1zhang3 de xiao1shou4e2, dan4 mei2ren2 neng2 jie3shi4 wei4shen2me.
I have several appointments in the morning, can you meet me in the afternoon?
早 上 我 有 几 个 约 会 , 你 能 下 午 来 找 我 吗 ?
Zao3shang wo3 you3 ji3ge yue1hui4, ni3 neng2 xia4wu3 lai2zhao3 wo3 ma?
I wouldn't recommend that you buy stocks in this market.
我 不 建 议 你 在 这 个 市 场 里 买 股 票 。
Wo3 bu2 jian4yi4 ni3 zai4 zhe4ge shi4chang3 li3 mai3 gu3piao4.
In twenty minutes.
在 二 十 分 钟 之 内 。
Zai4 er4shi2 fen1zhong1 zhi1nei4.
I'll meet you in the library.
我 们 在 图 书 馆 碰 头 儿 。
Wo3men zai4 tu2shu1guan3 peng4tou2r.
When you stand in the entrance like that, people can't get by you. (literally -- Appear you like that standing in the doorway, no one has a way to pass.)
像 你 那 样 站 在 门 口 , 别 人 就 没 法 过 去 了 。
Xiang4 ni3 na4yang4 zhan4zai4 men2kou3, bie2ren2 jiu4 mei2fa3 guo4qu le.
The refrigerator's in the kitchen, help yourself.
冰 箱 在 厨 房 里 , 自 己 拿 。
Bing1xiang1 zai4 chu2fang2 li3, zi4ji3 na2.
The tables and chairs in the classroom are very tidy.
教 室 里 的 桌 椅 很 整 齐 。
Jiao4shi4 li3 de zhuo1 yi3 hen3 zheng3qi2.
It's right in front in the top drawer. It's right in front of the top drawer.
它 正 好 在 最 上 面 的 抽 屉 里 的 最 外 边 。
Ta1 zheng4hao3 zai4 zui4 shang4mian4 de chou1ti li3 de zui4 wai4bian.
Put the paper napkins in the right cabinet and the cloth napkins in the left drawer.
把 餐 巾 纸 放 在 右 边 的 柜 子 里 , 把 餐 巾 放 在 左 边 的 抽 屉 里 。
Ba3 can1jin1zhi3 fang4 zai4 you4bian1 de gui4zi li3, ba3 can1jin1 fang4 zai4 zuo3bian1 de chou1ti li3.
Don't play in the street. You'll get hit by a car. (被 is often used in Chinese when there is a negative or unpleasant situation. Also when an inanimate object is the cause. The sentence implies that someone drove the car - both in English and Chinese.)
不 要 在 街 上 玩 , 你 会 被 车 撞 着 的 。
Bu2yao4 zai4 jie1shang wan2, ni3 hui4 bei4 che1 zhuang4zhao2 de.
On his way to Paris he stopped in Zurich.
去 巴 黎 的 路 上 , 他 在 苏 黎 士 停 了 一 下 。
Qu4 ba1li2 de lu4shang, ta1 zai4 Su1li2shi4 ting2 le yi2xia4.
You have to be competitive in the marketplace. There will always be someone who can offer a better product at reduced cost. (literally -- You must on the market be to compete strongly. On the market always can have person able to use relatively lower prices to offer relatively better products.)
你 必 须 在 市 场 上 有 竞 争 力 。 市 场 上 总 会 有 人 能 以 较 低 的 价 格 提 供 较 好 的 产 品 。
Ni3 bi4xu1 zai4 shi4chang3shang you3 jing4zheng1li4. Shi4chang3shang zong3 hui4 you3 ren2 neng2 yi3 jiao3di1 de jia4ge2 ti2gong1 jiao3 hao3 de chan3 ping3.
I like to watch television in the evening, but I often have work to do at night. (literally -- to have work that needs doing)
我 喜 欢 晚 上 看 电 视 , 但 是 我 晚 上 经 常 有 事 要 做 。
Wo3 xi3huan wan3shang kan4 dian4shi4, dan4shi4 wo3 wan3shang jing1chang2 you3 shi4 yao4zuo4.
In the end, he decided to take the new job.
最 后 , 他 决 定 接 受 那 个 新 工 作 。
Zui4hou4, ta1 jue2ding4 jie1shou4 na4ge xin1 gong1zuo4.
In the beginning I didn't think you would agree with me but now I see the merger's possible.
开 始 我 并 不 相 信 你 我 能 达 成 一 致 , 但 就 现 在 来 看 是 完 全 可 能 的 。
Kai1shi3 wo3 bing4 bu4 xiang1xin4 ni3 wo3 neng2 da2cheng2 yi2zhi4, dan4jiu4 xian4zai4 lai2kan4 shi4 wan2quan2 ke3neng2 de.
He's in the hospital.
他 住 院 了 。
Ta1 zhu4 yuan4 le.
I'll see you in the swimming pool.
我 在 游 泳 池 里 等 你 。
Wo3 zai4 you2yong3chi2 li3 deng3 ni3.
He was in an accident.
他 出 事 了。
Ta1 chu1shi4 le.
I'll meet you in the restaurant.
我 在 饭 馆 里 等 你 。
Wo3 zai4 fan4guan3 li3 deng3 ni3
He's in the store.
他 就 在 商 店 里 。
Ta1 jiu4 zai4 shang1dian4 li3.
She's in school now, but expects to get a job after graduation.
现 在 她 还 在 上 学 , 但 她 希 望 毕 业 后 能 找 到 一 份 工 作 。
Xian4zai4 ta1 hai2 zai4 shang4xue2, dan4 ta1 xi1wang4 bi4ye4 hou4 neng2 zhao3dao4 yi2 fen4 gong1zuo4.
The game's in play, it won't end for another 20 minutes. (literally -- the game is in the process of continuing, at least still 20 minutes then can end.)
比 赛 正 在 进 行 , 至 少 还 得 20 分 钟 才 会 结 束 。
Bi3sai4 zheng4zai4 jin4xing2, zhi4shao3 hai2dei3 er4shi2 fen1zhong1 cai2 hui4 jie2shu4.
I could see her in the window waving as I left. (literally -- When I was walking saw her in the window up waving. Note that shi2 is used as an abbreviated form of dang1...shi2hou = when)
我 走 时 看 见 她 在 窗 户 上 挥 手 。
Wo3 zou3 shi2 kan4jian4 ta1 zai4 chuang1hu shang hui1shou3.
I put my suitcase in the corner so it would be out of the way.
我 把 箱 子 放 在 墙 角 , 那 样 它 就 不 会 挡 路 了 。
Wo3 ba3 xiang1zi fang4 zai4 qiang2jiao3, na4yang4 ta1 jiu4 bu2hui4 dang3lu4le.
Look in the mirror, you have something on your cheek.
照 照 镜 子 , 你 脸 上 有 点 东 西 。
Zhao4zhao4 jing4zi, ni3 lian3shang you3 dian3 dong1xi1.
The farmer put the seeds in the ground.
农 民 把 种 子 撒 到 地 里 。
Nong2min2 ba3 zhong3zi sa3 dao4 di4 li3.
"Things that go bump in the night", aren't monsters or ghosts, only my husband coming home late.
夜 里 奇 怪 的 响 声 不 是 怪 兽 或 幽 灵 , 而 是 我 回 家 很 晚 的 丈 夫 。
Ye4li3 qi2guai4 de xiang3sheng1 bu2shi4 guai4shou4 huo4 you1ling2, er2shi4 wo3 hui2jia1 hen3 wan3 de zhang4fu.
My cat woke me up in the night when she jumped on my stomach.
夜 里 我 的 猫 跳 上 我 的 肚 子 , 吵 醒 了 我 。
Ye4li3 wo3 de mao1 tiao4shang4 wo3 de du4zi, chao3xing3 le wo3.
I'm terribly sorry, she's in a meeting. You'll have to call back later. (shi2fen1 bao4qian4 -- I'm extremely sorry -- is a very common phrase to begin negative news)
十 分 抱 歉 , 她 正 在 开 会 , 你 不 得 不 过 会 儿 再 打 过 来 。
Shi2fen1 bao4qian4, ta1 zheng4zai4 ka1hui4, ni3 bu4de2bu4 guo4hui4r zai4 da3guolai.
The sun comes up in the east.
太 阳 从 东 方 升 起 。
Tai4yang2 cong2 dong1fang1 sheng1 qi3.
The floppy disks in the box are new.
盒 子 里 的 软 盘 是 新 的 。
He2zi li3 de ruan3pan2 shi4 xin1 de.
I'll be there in about ten minutes.
Are you interested in going to the store?
有 兴 趣 去 商 店 吗 ?
You3 xing4qu4 qu4 shang1dian4 ma?
I'm interested in reading this kind of paper. (newspaper)
我 有 兴 趣 看 这 种 报 纸 。
Wo3 you3 xing4qu4 kan4 zhe4 zhong3 bao4zhi3.
Are you interested in going?
有 兴 趣 去 吗 ?
You3 xing4qu4 qu4 ma?
In the Olympics, many events have 8 judges who give points. (you2 is used as a preposition)
许 多 奥 运 会 项 目 要 由 八 位 裁 判 打 分 。
Xu3duo1 Ao4yun4hui4 xiang4mu4 yao4 you2 ba1 wei4 cai2pan4 da3 fen1.
He came in carrying a pot of boiling water.
他 提 着 一 壶 开 水 走 进 来 。
Ta1 ti2zhe yi4 hu2 kai1shui3 zou3 jin4lai.
They're cooking in the kitchen.
他 们 正 在 厨 房 做 饭 。
Ta1men zheng4zai4 chu2fang2 zuo4fan4.
The kids were kneeling in the yard playing chess.
孩 子 们 正 跪 在 院 子 里 下 棋 。
Hai2zimen zheng4 gui4 zai4 yuan4zi li3 xia4qi2.
Don't swim in the lake, it's too deep.
不 要 在 湖 里 游 泳 , 它 太 深 了 。
Bu2 yao4 zai4 hu2li3 you2yong3, ta1 tai4 shen1le.
He left his luggage in the hotel.
他 把 行 李 落 在 旅 馆 了 。
Ta1 ba3 xing2li la4 zai4 lu~3guan3 le.
Are you in love? (a parent might ask this or a friend -- very common expression - implies a deep lasting relationship but not as strong as ai4)
你 们 有 感 情 吗 ?
Ni3men you3 gan3qing2 ma?
We're in love. (said easily and informally by young people who intend to get married.)
我 们 有 感 情 。
Wo3men you3 gan3qing2.
He and I are in love. (formal -- more literary -- means you are falling in love but still at the confused stage -- not committed -- also see you3 gan3qing2)
我 和 他 发 生 了 感 情 。
Wo3 he2 ta1 fa1sheng1 le gan3qing2.
Magnets are very useful in our lives.
磁 铁 在 我 们 的 生 活 中 很 有 用 。
Ci2tie3 zai4 wo3men de sheng1huo2 zhong1 hen3 you3yong4.
Most of the students in our class are girls.
我 们 班 多 数 是 女 生 。
Wo3men ban1 duo1shu4 shi4 nu~3sheng1.
Chairman Mao died in 1976 after the big earthquake.
毛 主 席 在 1976 年 大 地 震 后 逝 世 。
Mao2 Zhu3xi2 zai4 1976 nian2 da4 di4zhen4 hou4 shi4shi4.
In the middle there's a big tiger.
中 间 有 一 只 大 老 虎 。
Zhong1jian1 you3 yi4 zhi1 da4 lao3hu3.
Making a telephone call's more convenient than in the past.
打 电 话 比 以 前 方 便 多 了
Da3 dian4hua4 bi3 yi3qian2 fang1bian4 duo1 le.
Are you doing anything in the morning?
上 午 你 有 事 儿 吗 ?
Shang4wu3 ni3 you3 shi4r ma?
The air's clean in the early morning.
清 晨 空 气 清 新 。
Qing1chen2 kong1qi4 qing1xin1.
There's a hill in front of us.
在 我 们 前 边 有 一 座 山 。
Zai4 wo3men qian2bian1 you3 yi2 zuo4 shan1.
We'll move to a new apartment in the spring.
春 天 我 们 要 搬 到 新 单 元 去 。
Chun1tian1 wo3men yao4 ban1 dao4 xin1 dan1yuan2 qu4.
I often go to the library in the evening.
我 常 常 晚 上 去 图 书 馆 。
Wo3 chang2chang2 wan3shang qu4 tu2shu1guan3.
I prefer to ride on the escalator because I feel claustrophobic in an elevator. (In China, they don't use the term claustrophobic to describe the feeling -- huang1 means confused, anxious -- bie1 means hold in, suppress)
我 更 愿 意 坐 扶 梯 , 因 为 我 觉 得 在 电 梯 里 憋 的 慌 。
Wo3 geng4 yuan4yi4 zuo4 fu2ti1, yin1wei2 wo3 jue2 de zai4 dian4ti1 li3 bie1 de huang.
There are two hundred pages in this book.
这 本 书 有 二 百 页 。
Zhe4 ben3 shu1 you3 er4 bai3 ye4.
I'll hand in my history paper tomorrow.
我 明 天 要 交 我 的 历 史 论 文 。
Wo3 ming2tian1 yao4 jiao1 wo3 de li4shi3 lun4wen2.
The flowers that I planted in the backyard last fall are now in full bloom. The first flowers are the best! ("that" is a signal for a noun modifier)
去 年 秋 天 我 在 后 院 种 的 花 现 在 已 经 开 了 。 最 早 开 的 花 最 好 !
Qu4nian2 qiu1tian1 wo3 zai4 hou4yuan4 zhong4 de hua1, xian4zai4 yi3jing1 kai1 le. Zui4 zao3 kai1 de hua1 zui4 hao3!
In the past few days, the Public Security Bureau detained 3 suspects who were allegedly involved with selling illegal lean meat powder.
公 安 机 关 近 日 拘 留 了 3 名 涉 嫌 贩 卖 瘦 肉 精 的 犯 罪 嫌 疑 人 。
Gong1an1ji1guan1 jin4ri4 ju1liu2 le san1 ming2 she4xian2 fan4mai4 shou4rou4jing1 de fan4zui4 xian2yi2ren2.
They advertised their goods in the newspaper.
他 们 在 报 纸 上 为 他 们 的 商 品 登 了 广 告 。
Ta1men zai4 bao4zhi3 shang4 wei4 ta1men de shang1pin3 deng1 le guang3gao4.
She got first place in the race, breaking the record.
她 比 赛 得 了 第 一 并 打 破 了 纪 录 。
Ta1 bi3sai4 de2 le di4 yi1 bing4 da3po4 le ji4lu4.
Vermilion roses decorate Beijing in the spring.
春 天 朱 红 的 玫 瑰 装 饰 北 京 。
Chun1tian1 zhu1hong2 de mei2gui zhuang1shi4 Bei3jing1.
The thunder rolled in the distance.
远 处 雷 声 隆 隆 。
Yuan3chu4 lei2sheng1 long2long2.
The horse is rolling in the grass.
马 正 在 草 地 上 打 滚 。
Ma3 zheng4zai4 cao3di4 shang4 da3gun3.
A picture's hung on the wall in my room.
一 幅 画 挂 在 我 的 房 间 的 墙 上 。
Yi4 fu2 hua4 gua4 zai4 wo3 de fang2jian1 de qiang2shang.
Almost all the bed sheets in the hospital are white.
医 院 中 几 乎 所 有 的 床 单 都 是 白 的 。
Yi1yuan4 zhong1 ji1hu1 suo3you3 de chuang2dan1 dou1 shi4 bai2 de.
I live in a simple house.
我 在 简 单 的 房 子 住 。
Wo3 zai4 jian3dan1 de fang2zi zhu4.
In your situation I would save my money.
在 你 那 样 的 情 况 下 我 愿 意 节 约 用 我 的 钱 。
Zai4 ni3 na4yang4 de qing2kuang4xia4, wo3 yuan4yi4 jie2yue1 yong4 wo3 de qian2.
I found the neatest silk skirt in the market for 20 kuai!
我 在 这 个 市 场 上 买 的 这 条 很 不 错 的 真 丝 裙 子 才 二 十 块 钱 。
Wo3 zai4 zhe4 ge4 shi4chang3shang mai3 de zhe4 tiao2 hen3 bu2 cuo4 de zhen1si1 qun2zi cai2 er4shi2kuai4 qian2.
You look handsome in that suit. (usually said to a man -- even boys like to hear this)
你 穿 这 身 衣 服 很 帅 。
Ni3 chuan1 zhe4 shen1 yi1fu hen3 shuai4.
East and South Asia began to suffer an economic crisis in 1997.
一 九 九 七 年 东 南 亚 开 始 遭 受 经 济 危 机 。
1997 nian2 Dong1 Nan2 Ya4 kai1shi3 zao1shou4 jin1ji4 wei1ji1.
I don't have much space in my room.
我 的 房 间 里 没 有 很 多 地 方 。
Wo3 de fang2jian1 li3 mei2you3 hen3 duo1 di4fang.
Bears come out in spring.
春 天 熊 出 来 了 。
Chun1tian1 xiong2 chu1 lai2 le.
Get off the bus in three stops.
三 站 后 下 车 。
San1 zhan4 hou4 xia4 che1.
In the future I'll try even harder to study.
今 后 我 将 更 加 努 力 学 习 。
Jin1hou4 wo3 jiang1 geng4jia1 nu3li4 xue2xi2.
You should believe in yourself, you aren't stupid.
你 要 相 信 自 己 , 你 不 笨 。
Ni3 yao4 xiang1xin4 zi4ji3, ni3 bu2 ben4.
We haven't had such a good time in years.
我 们 好 几 年 没 有 过 得 这 么 痛 快 了 。
Wo3men hao3ji3 nian2 mei2you3 guo4 de zhe4me tong4kuai4 le.
There are four threes in my telephone number.
我 的 电 话 号 码 里 有 四 个 三 。
Wo3 de dian4hua4 hao4ma3 li3 you3 si4 ge4 san1 .
If you can wait, dinner will be ready in a little while. (young people when speaking will often say yi2hui3r)
如 果 你 能 等 , 晚 饭 一 会 儿 就 好 。
Ru2guo3 ni3 neng2 deng3, wan3fan4 yi2hui4r jiu4 hao3.
He said to his girlfriend, "Whisper in my ear."
他 对 他 的 女 朋 友 说 : “ 在 我 耳 边 小 声 说 。 ”
Ta1 dui4 ta1 de nu~3 peng2you shuo1: "Zai4 wo3 er3bian1 xiao3sheng1 shuo1."
The sun doesn't shine very much in winter in Beijing.
北 京 冬 天 阳 光 不 充 足 。
Bei3jing1 dong1tian1 yang2guang1 bu4 chong1zu2.
The girl wants to be a writer in the future.
这 个 小 女 孩 长 大 以 后 想 当 文 学 家 。
Zhe4 ge4 xiao3 nu~3hai2 zhang3da4 yi3hou4 xiang3 dang1 wen2xue2jia1.
There are twelve months in a year.
一 年 有 十 二 个 月 。
Yi4 nian2 you3 shi2er4 ge4 yue4.
http://hua.umf.maine.edu/Chinese/topics/topics.html Last Update: July 2012 © Marilyn Shea 1999, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2012